lunes, 22 de noviembre de 2010

My Experience of Writing


Second parts are said to be disappointing, predictable and often unnecessary. I don’t know what your expectations are, but I must warn you, my brain is on the verge of crash and burn. How do I know? I have been following the same procedure I went through in with my previous pieces: brainstorming in the shower, on the bus, and so on. Then, the writing stage: mate on my desk, pillow behind my back, Chicho by my side. Nothing. I have followed these steps three times. All in vain.


I will do my best.


As you may have predicted, I will of course tell you how much I have enjoyed writing. How nice it is when you find THE thing you want to share with others. How enthusiastic you feel when your peers help you polish your piece or comment on your ideas. How nervous you wait for your tutor and teacher’s feedback. How desperation takes over when you are faced with a piece of paper when the moment for the “timed essay/article” in class arrives...


We have been together for many months so, you already know I always have something - and sometimes too much - to say. For this reason, when it comes to writing my first predicament is what to focus on. My second concern is how. I had not written as a student for more than 9 years that is why I have had extra motivation since I have been discovering the amazing help my little computer can provide. A little confession: I always have my two favourite dictionaries - the paper ones - next to my net-book every time I write.


I would like to highlight one little thing: process writing. It has helped me to develop my confidence. I knew I could take some risks because I counted on a bunch of peers who would tell me if I had gone too far. The tutors were incredibly helpful. My teacher’s corrections, comments and questions encouraged me to discover new layers in my pieces. We all helped everyone, we generously shared our time, our precious time.


To sum up, I do not think I have managed to surprise you in any way - anyway, it was not my goal. Sequels are like this. Still, it is necessary because this piece you are reading is the very last. So, it is a farewell writing. I will miss you, dear reader (peer, tutor or teacher). Thanks!



PSPS: As I am writing I am listening to this song - highly recommended!

4 comentarios:

  1. Sil, totally agree with your point of view :) And, So Long, I'm goign to cry... :(

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Dearest Silvi, I'm your fan number one! I love your pieces of writing and the way you say things. It was a pleasure to be your mate! I learnt a lot from you and the others of course! love, Julia

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Wow Sil, you are so pleasant to read! I enjoy your writings very much! AND I really enjoyed getting to know you this year :)

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Dear Silvina
    You keep surprising us with your sense of humour and your creativity! Congrats on yet another excellent piece!
    Best
    Analía
    PS: Can't believe you don't use online dics! :-)

    ResponderEliminar